NATIONAL INTERSCHOLASTIC SWIMMING COACHES ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA, INC.
Scholar Team Award Application
The objective of the Scholar Team award is to recognize teams that perform on a high academic level. The award is a cumulative effort by a team of 12 or more athletes who strive for academic success during their high school careers.
Application deadline (postmark) is March 31st for Fall/Winter seasons, June 15th for Spring seasons. Late fee of $30 per application applies after March 31. Non-member fee of $30 per application. No applications accepted after June 15.
1. A program must have a minimum of 12 varsity-level athletes in grades 9-12 to apply for the award. Teams from a lower level may not apply (Examples: Junior Varsity teams, freshman teams, modified teams, etc. are NOT eligible).
2. Fall and winter season varsity athletes must have participated in and completed the season in order to be eligible for the teams’ application. Spring athletes must be currently academically eligible to compete at the varsity level.
3. Cumulative GPA is to be used including the 1st semester or 2nd trimester of the current year. Round GPA to the nearest thousandth. 9th grade 1-semester cumulative GPA or a 2-trimester cumulative GPA 10th grade 3-semester cumulative GPA or a 5-trimester cumulative GPA 11th grade 5-semester cumulative GPA or an 8-trimester cumulative GPA 12th grade 7-semester cumulative GPA or an 11-trimester cumulative GPA
3. The Cumulative GPA must include all grades for all courses taken in the 1st semester or 2nd trimester of the current school year, and must include EVERY member of the varsity team.
4. The school's grade scale is required on the application. The grade scale is based upon the value that the school gives to an unweighted A.
5. GPAs are to be recorded to the nearest thousandth using the school's grade scale.
6. Individual GPAs above 4.000 are automatically limited to a maximum of 4.000.
7. Application fees (except late fees) for NISCA member coaches are waived provided the deadline for the season is met. Application fee for the nonmember coach is $30. The fees are paid during the application process via PayPal. You may bypass this option and mail a check with your application.
8. Applications will require 3 of 4 possible signatures: coach, principal, athletic director, registrar or counselor.
9. Awards will be provided for three levels:
• GOLD = 3.750 - 4.000
• SILVER = 3.500 - 3.749
• BRONZE = 3.200 - 3.499
11. A complete list of award winners will be posted on the NISCA website at www.niscaonline.org and listed in the NISCA Journal in the July-August All America issue.
12. Make a copy of your application for your records and for use if your application is lost in the delivery process. The Head Coach and the District Athletic Director should review the names of the team members listed on the application and sign verification of the required participation. The high school Principal/Registrar should verify the accuracy of the grade average of each student listed and sign the application form.
THE DEADLINE FOR FALL AND WINTER SEASONS IS MARCH 31.
SPRING SEASON DEADLINE AND LATE APPLICATION DEADLINE IS JUNE 15TH.
If your school schedule does not allow your team to adhere to the deadline please contact the NISCA Scholar Team administrator BEFORE THE DEADLINE.